Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Pressing the grievance

by Ben Smith, Politico


I've obtained a copy of an email from a prominent Hispanic Obama supporter, Moses Mercado, to a local Hispanic leader. In it, he argues that Hispanic leaders should feel aggrieved at the removal of Clinton's Mexican-American campaign manager, Patti Solis Doyle:

From: "Mercado, Moses"
To: XXX
Date: Sun, 10 Feb 2008 16:48:35
Subject: Why do brown people get screwed first.

I don't know patty or her work, but I think it is sh*** that she is the one that got fired and blamed for all the problems. (They are supposedly ahead with hispanics and women and so they fire the hispanic woman?)

No one else screwed up?

Mercado was in talks to work for Obama in the fall, but was never actually hired, after reports about his work as a lobbyist . But he's been active in the campaign, reportedly traveling to Nevada for Obama.

"That's obviously not the sentiment of this campaign," said Obama spokesman Bill Burton.

Mercado, who's also a superdelegate, emailed me that he stands by the email, which he'd sent to "two of my 'friends'" who support Clinton.

"I feel strongly that there was no need to publicly humiliate her," he emailed. "Everyone that has ever worked on campaign knows they could have layered her and reassigned her without the public humiliation. I , as a Hispanic was very proud that one of us had finally made it to running a National Presidential Campaign. (also Luis Navarro with Biden) so personally, I do support Obama, but also personally as a Hispanic I feel strongly about this. Are they saying, the losing Iowa was not the responsibility of the state Director, getting out raised in Jan. was also her fault?"


No comments: