Monday, November 03, 2008

Election eve in New York

A reader in New York City emails:

I was just contacted by my late grandfather's union, to arrange transportation to the poll tomorrow for my elderly grandmother. After I made arrangements over the phone, I called my grandmother to be sure she wanted to vote, as she has not been feeling well lately. I explained to her that New York was sure to be won by her candidate (and mine), Barack Obama.

Grams showed a flash of anger. First, she said, she'd have to be dying not to vote tomorrow. Second, she said, and I quote: "If this thing gets to 269-269, we have to whoop McCain good in the popular vote to show the House of Representatives we mean business."

Not bad for a frail 80-year old black woman with who didn't finish middle school.

No comments: