Friday, November 07, 2008

Lieberman

Posted by Joe Klein
I'm not a big fan of post-election vindictiveness. If McCain had won I'd be giving him the benefit of the doubt now, even though I thought he ran a reprehensible campaign. Presidential honeymoons, within reason, are good for the spirit of democracy. And so I'm inclined not too be too hard on Joe Lieberman, even though he has been a flagrantly dreadful public figure these past two years. I think he should be allowed to continue to caucus as a Democrat, if he chooses to do so. I don't think he should be rewarded, though, for being a traitor to his former party--which he frequently accused of favoring "surrender" in Iraq--nor do I think he can be trusted on matters of national security. The best course of action would be to remove him as chair of the Homeland Security Committee, but allow him to retain his seniority. That's about as gracious as I think Democrats should be, and far more than Lieberman deserves.

Joe Lieberman begs Democrats, "Not in the face, not in the face!"

No comments: